Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Hard Case

This past March an acquaintance of mine finished his gift of life at the young age of only 63. He served as an infantry officer in Vietnam and told me about a firefight where he knew it was all over. He told me that he called out to God and told Him that if He would get him through this firefight alive that he would then serve Him for the rest of his life.

Well, God did see this man safely through this firefight and the rest of his tour of duty in Vietnam. But, as is so often the case, once all was okay again the man went on with his life without keeping his promise. I met him in the latter years of his life. I would have liked a deeper friendship, but he could only take so much of my sharing Jesus with him. He had quite a successful civilian career after his military service ended and appeared wealthy according to worldly standards. He was an alcoholic though and drank constantly whenever I visited him. The last time I saw him I could tell the alcoholism was taking its toll. I didn't know it would be the last time I'd see him, but it was obvious the possibility was there. How I wish our friendship could have blossomed.

"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling." Matthew 23:37

I'll always wonder if I could have done more...

I have another friend that is even younger, only 42. He has been quite the hard case. I've always believed there is hope for a man as long as he is still alive, but this one has made me wonder. Our paths in life have recently crossed again. My goodness how he has aged in a few short years. He looks rougher than the one who just died and is 20 years younger. The Lord inspired me to buy him a bible which I believe he received well.

Shortly after buying him this bible he was hospitalized. While praying for him during his hospital stay the Lord has given me a whole new insight on the Parable of the Generous Employer: Matthew 20:1-16

Laborers in the Vineyard

“For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. “When he had agreed with the laborers for a denarius for the day, he sent them into his vineyard. “And he went out about the third hour and saw others standing idle in the market place; and to those he said, ‘You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right I will give you.’ And so they went. “Again he went out about the sixth and the ninth hour, and did the same thing. “And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing around; and he said to them, ‘Why have you been standing here idle all day long?’ “They said to him, ‘Because no one hired us.’ He said to them, ‘You go into the vineyard too.’

“When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last group to the first.’ “When those hired about the eleventh hour came, each one received a denarius. “When those hired first came, they thought that they would receive more; but each of them also received a denarius. “When they received it, they grumbled at the landowner, saying, ‘These last men have worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden and the scorching heat of the day.’ “But he answered and said to one of them, ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong; did you not agree with me for a denarius? ‘Take what is yours and go, but I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. ‘Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with what is my own? Or is your eye envious because I am generous?’ “So the last shall be first, and the first last.”
Matthew 20:1-16

Many of us are infatuated with the passing pleasures of sin and desire a deathbed conversion. During my friend's hospital stay I came to realize how much all of us who know him want him to make it into the arms of the loving Savior, Christ Jesus, before it is too late. I also realized that we all would be more than happy for him to receive "full pay" even though he arrived at a late hour.

Fortunately my friend made it out of the hospital alive this time. I'm finding myself being a little more pushy with him after the loss of my previous acquaintance. It is not in my nature to be pushy, but the anguish of wondering if I had done all I could with my other friend makes me push my normal nature aside. I told my friend recently released from the hospital, "I don't want to get to the other side and not find you there." He told me, "I'll be there."

And God, I hope it is so!

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

I am grateful to have gone into the vineyard and began laboring early. I only wish I could have started earlier and maybe even labored harder. I have no resentment for those who come in at a late hour and I am overjoyed that they receive full wages. When you hear His voice, please do not harden your heart!

"O taste and see that the LORD is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!" Psalm 34:8

You too! Please don't disappoint me. I desire to see you in the Golden City too. Whether you come early or late, just make sure you get there.

The helmet of salvation (Ephesians 6:17) is an important part of a warrior for the Lord's armor! You have to personally invite Jesus into your heart, acknowledge that you are a sinner in need of His help, and repent of your sins. If you do this you will receive the helmet of salvation, and He (Jesus) will be faithful to help you along your journey and farther clothe you with the Full Armor of God so that you may be able to stand in the evil day.

I really didn't think my hard case friend was going to make it. I told his mama who loves the Lord, "I always thought there was hope for a man as long as they are still alive, but Joe makes me wonder". Well now I'm full of hope. I have that hope for you too. Many are called, but few are chosen, because I believe few choose. Don't disappoint me, make the choice, and be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment