Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Embracing Discipline

What do you desire? Shall I come to you with a rod, or with love and a spirit of gentleness? 1 Corinthians 4:21

The 23rd Psalm

The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.

He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.

Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.


A Father’s Discipline

You have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood in your striving against sin;

and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons,
“MY SON, DO NOT REGARD LIGHTLY THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD,
NOR FAINT WHEN YOU ARE REPROVED BY HIM;

FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES,
AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES.”

It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness. All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.
Hebrews 12:4-11


"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matthew 7:13,14


It is crucial for a warrior of the Lord Jesus to enter through the narrow gate. If you fail to enter, you can be of no service to our Lord and Master the Great Shepherd of our souls: Jesus the Christ.

One day in my daily bible reading I read 1 Corinthians 4:21 at the top of this post. I have no doubt that I had read this scripture previously, but this time the Lord turned a light bulb on in my head. He said, "You see that? All you ever want Me to deal with you is with love and a spirt of gentleness. You want no part of the rod. But you know, and I know that love and a spirt of gentleness is not always sufficient to cause you to pass through that narrow gate!"

I knew what the Lord was telling me was true. I also knew how important it is to pass through the narrow gate. He had pointed out the error of my desire to only know love and a spirit of gentleness while avoiding the rod. I then told Him in prayer, "Lord, if love and a spirt of gentleness is sufficient to cause me to pass through the narrow gate, then fine. But if it is not, PLEASE don't spare me the touch of Your rod!"

That simple prayer was life changing. Now when I feel the touch of His rod I'm all about trying to correct my path and get back on the narrow way. Rather than hating discipline I now cherish it. A remarkable thing has happened with this change in attitude: the touch of His rod has gotten rare, but I know it is always there and ready should the need arise. "Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me." Thank You Lord Jesus for loving me enough to discipline me when it is necessary. Knowing that You are faithful and diligent to administer that which is necessary does indeed comfort me and give me confidence that with Your assistance I can make it and be an overcomer enduring to the end. For this I am eternally grateful my Lord! Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment